What is Secure English Language Test (SELT)Dr Shafiq
Are you going to apply for SELT? What is secure english language test? SELT (Secure English Level Test) is required for students seeking to study, work, and live in the UK. It is used by students applying for tier 1, 2, and 4 visas for short courses and pathway programs. Various platforms administer this test at authorized testing centers for immigration and visas to the UK worldwide. A variety of sections are included in the test, such as Reading, Writing, Listening, and Spoken English, to determine your level of English proficiency.
What is the Secure English Language Test?
The foremost important question is, what is a secure English language test? It is a secure English language test for UKVI. UK Visas and Immigration has approved the Secure English Language Test (SELT) for determining eligibility to apply for Leave to Remain, British citizenship, and Tier 1, 2, and 4 visas. Trinity College London, one of SI-UK’s trusted partners, offers the SELT. However, you might wonder what is UKVI approved English test. It is the SELT.
Types of SELT
Once you are aware of what is SELT? Now you should know the types of SELT. Here is the Secure English Language Test (selt) list:
Students and adults attending school, college, or university can acquire Integrated Skills in English (ISE), a four-skills qualification. Teachers who must prove their English language proficiency can also benefit from this program.
Integrating reading, writing, and speaking tasks with listening and speaking tasks provide students with an opportunity to interact in English authentically and meaningfully. ISE prepares students for academic study and employment by encouraging them to develop the real-life English skills they need.
People whose first language is not English are tested on their English speaking and listening skills by Trinity Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE). During this process, students are encouraged to remain motivated and to gain confidence in their ability to use English. In addition, each student can chart their progress from beginner to proficient.
Examinations involve unscripted conversations with an examiner that cover a wide range of topics and tasks. Participants must be at least five years old, and the sessions are designed to be inclusive and tailored to the needs of all learners.
This information booklet contains teacher guidance notes and rules and regulations regarding the GESE Exam. You can take your GESE exams at Trinity exam centers in many countries.
- Vocational Courses in the UK for International Students
- UK Student Visa From Bangladesh
- Best Consultancy in Nepal for the UK
- Best Cities to Study in the UK
Do I need to take a SELT?
If you plan to study in the UK, you may need to apply for a Student Route visa. The SELT determines your English language test scores, which you must submit for your visa application.
If you’re applying for a visa for a program considered ‘below degree level,’ you must submit the SELT – unless you qualify for an exemption.
A SELT may not be necessary for students planning to study at a degree level since the university can assess their English proficiency. Keep the secure English language test (selt) list and compare all features to know what is best for you.
SELT Exam Structure
After a deep understanding of the SELT, the next crucial thing is knowing the exam structure.
Two aptitude tests are available (Speaking and Listening) and four (Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking). The length of stay will vary based on the type of visa and purpose for entering the UK.
- A SELT (Speaking & Listening) exam consists of a quick conversation between the candidate and a live interlocutor online.
- Specifically, two components are included in the SELT (Listening, Reading, Writing & Speaking) examination:
- Components taken using a computer include the written component.
- Live interviews with an Interlocutor are part of the spoken component.
For applications requiring an English proficiency test, depending on which immigration route you’re taking. You’ll be required to take two types of proficiency tests. Depending on what you are applying for, you may have to take a test.
Reading, writing, speaking, and listening abilities will be assessed for the following application routes:
- Minister of Religion
- Skilled Worker
A test assessing your speaking and listening abilities is required for the following application routes:
- Representative of an Overseas Business
Depending on the route you are applying for, you will need to take a CEFR-level test (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). If your immigration route requires a specific level, see your immigration route’s guidance.
Advantages and features
- Choosing a level according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), which is globally accepted and approved by visa authorities worldwide, is the best way to determine your level. CEFR is the basis for PSI-SfE SELT.
- If a Study Visa grant is being sought, students need to attempt either the B1 or B2 Test according to the requirements of the university/college.
- Each B1 and B2 Test is customized and tailored to the individual, so there are no higher-level questions. This is not required for either IELTS or PTE. Most students already at B1 or B2 level (IELTS 5 to 6.5) should be able to achieve passing scores on this Exam. Those relieved of stress and anxiety will be better prepared to perform.
- At the B1 and B2 Levels, there are no band scores. Both outcomes are Pass or Pass with Merit. A student will receive a Pass score if they can correctly answer 50% – 60% of the questions. Pass with Merit is awarded to those with a higher percentage of correct answers.
How can I obtain a Secure English Language Test?
English Language Testing Service (IELTS) is most commonly used for Secure English Language Tests (SELTs). For each Exam, you should research the IELTS website and prepare for it. A section of the site is dedicated to test-taking advice. The site also offers valuable test materials and online practice tests to understand better the Exam and information on when and where to take them.
You can improve your skills and examination technique by taking a preparation course in your country. Many students fail to achieve the scores they deserve since they don’t prepare properly for exams and don’t understand how they work.
We need your SELT results as soon as possible since they can take up to 14 days to arrive. Please submit your SELT results with a copy of your IELTS certificate.
You will need to take a Secure English Language Test (such as IELTS) from a UKVI-approved center if you are interested in studying one of our International Foundation Programmes.
What is IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)?
Suppose you are looking to work or study in the UK. In that case, you may need to apply for a UK Visa and demonstrate that you have met the required level of English by taking a Home Office-approved SELT, such as IELTS for UKVI (Academic and General Training) or IELTS Life Skills.
Approved Test providers
Besides knowing a secure English language test, you must go for approved test providers. Getting scammed by unknown test providers is not a strange thing. Most people are scamming for money; once they are done, they leave with no traces. Thus make sure you know who is your test provider.
Following are some trustworthy approved test providers in the UK:
If you are located outside the United Kingdom, you are eligible to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT) only through one of these approved providers:
- PSI Services (UK) Ltd, offering Skills for English (UKVI)
- IELTS SELT Consortium
Home Office List of Approved English Language Tests
The Home Office list of approved English language tests for Secure English Language Test (SELT) purposes includes:
- IELTS SELT Consortium: Tests like ‘IELTS for UKVI’ and ‘IELTS Life Skills’.
- LanguageCert: Offering ‘LanguageCert International ESOL SELT’.
- Pearson: Providing ‘PTE Academic UKVI’ and ‘PTE Home’.
- PSI Services: With ‘Skills for English UKVI’.
- Trinity College London: Tests such as ‘Secure English Language Tests for UKVI’ – Integrated Skills in English (ISE) or Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE).
SELT vs IELTS
Many people think that SELT and IELTS are the same things. However, there is a difference. So, SELT vs IELTS, how do they differ? Let me explain.
- SELT (Secure English Language Test):
- SELT is specifically designed for immigration, visa, and citizenship purposes in the United Kingdom.
- It assesses various language skills, including reading, writing, speaking, and listening, depending on the specific immigration route.
- SELT is mandatory for certain UK visa and settlement applications.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System):
- IELTS is a globally recognized English proficiency test used for various purposes, including study, work, and immigration.
- It assesses English language skills in four categories: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking.
- IELTS is accepted by a wide range of countries and institutions worldwide.
In summary, SELT is specific to the UK and primarily used for immigration purposes, while IELTS is a more general English proficiency test accepted by many countries and institutions globally. The choice between them depends on your specific immigration or study goals and the requirements of the country or organization you are applying to.
What should I do once I get my results?
After receiving your English language test results, you must submit your chosen English language test certificate within 14 days (only official copies). You will be contacted after your results have been confirmed and verified. Applicants with a username and password can upload their English language certificates through our applicant portal.
The SELT test fee differs concerning the test you are choosing. The table below describes the Selt test fee.
|A1 Speaking and Listening||£120|
|A2 Speaking and Listening||£120|
|B1 Speaking and Listening||£120|
|B1 Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking||£140|
|B2 Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking||£140|
|C1 Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking||£140|
|C2 Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking||£140|
Frequently Asked Questions
Which English test is required for the UK?
In most cases, SELT is required for the UK. However, most of the time, people take the IELTS when they apply for the UK.
How much is the cost of an English language test?
An English language test is necessary for the UK. It includes speaking and writing English. However, when we talk about the English language test cost, it varies concerning the text you are choosing. Each test costs differently.
What is the passing score for Selt?
If you are planning to give a SELT, it is necessary to know the selt passing score. The passing score for any SELT is at least 50%.
What is the passing score for IELTS UKVI?
An acceptable score by UKVI is 4.0 or above, which corresponds to level B1 at the CEFR. SELT-listed or OFQUEL-regulated tests can fulfill this immigration category. Speaking and listening proficiency is required, at least at the B1 level.
Is the Selt test difficult?
This test measures your proficiency in English in a fair, easy, and fast way. It is not very difficult if you know the concept and way to solve the test.
How can I prepare for the English language test?
Follow the below-mentioned points to ace in English language test:
Embrace language learning in your daily life.
- Vocabulary revision
- Learn to use grammar correctly
What is the difference between academic and UKVI IELTS?
In IELTS for UKVI, the content, format, level of difficulty, as well as scoring have not changed. A few extra security protocols ensure the authentication of test takers. The Test Report Form (TRF) and the regular IELTS form may differ slightly.