Prepare to Study and Live in the UK

Prepare to Study and Live in the UK

Prepare to Study and Live in the UK

The prestige of a UK university education attracts students from all over the world. However, research shows that the transition to studying in the UK is not always easy. Yes, I know; right now, you are thinking about how to Prepare to Study and Live in the UK?

Many feel challenged by an unfamiliar educational system, cultural differences, and working in a different language. Traveling to the UK to study should be exciting, but it can be daunting. Getting settled in a new country with different customs, languages, food, and currency is challenging.

The UK is highly diverse, with different cultures and religions from all over the world, creating a unique feel in every other city. You’ll find a vibrant and varied atmosphere, from festivals to art and culture.

The diversity of world food offered in the UK is growing, so there’s plenty to explore if you want to discover new tastes or find dishes and ingredients from home. One of the reasons international students feel especially at home in the UK is the diversity of our universities. 20% of the academic staff in the UK are from overseas, meaning you’ll connect with people from all over the world, no matter what you choose to study.

Funding your studies

Ensuring you have the finance to fund your degree should be the first thing to do. You will need to provide documentation to prove that you can cover your study costs and your living expenses for your student visa to be approved.

If you are an EU student, you are eligible for Student Finance in the UK, which means the cost of your tuition fees will be covered by a loan that you’ll have to pay back in the future. Students outside the EU will have to fund their degrees themselves as they are not eligible for the loan. Also, they have to pay higher fees than UK students, which would be from £10,000 – £35,000 a year.

There are other options available if you cannot fund your education, such as international funding sources. There are also education loans or exchange programs that you could look at.

Do you have somewhere to live?

If you’re going somewhere new, make sure you have somewhere to live. Also, think ahead about insurance, bills, supplies, and a TV license.

Contact your course provider if you need to arrange accommodations. Even if you’re waiting for exam results, it’s best to check where you could live if awarded the placement.

University halls can either be self-catered, where you have access to a shared kitchen or catered, where your meals will be provided at the canteen. Having your kitchen or using a shared kitchen to cook for yourself will help you save money. Many of our rooms at London Nest come with shared or private kitchens.

Researching the positives and negatives of your options on whether to stay in halls or rent private accommodations should be the first thing to do. You might want to pay more and live in your own en-suite. At London Nest, you can find affordable luxury options in very central locations.

We offer a variety of rooms, which all come fully equipped and with many facilities, such as private kitchens, game rooms, and en-suite bathrooms. Our luxury accommodations options are all-inclusive, covering all the bills, so you don’t have to worry about them.

Student Visa for Study and Live in UK

You need the correct visas and other required paperwork to study in the UK. Although it’s not complicated to acquire and the UK encourages international students, you need to ensure you have the visa.

The visas required vary depending on the country you are from. But if you are from a European Union (EU) member country, you don’t need to apply for a visa to study in the UK. If you are from a country out of the EU, you will need to apply for a visa to study in the UK. At some universities, there is exceptional staff to help students with their visas. So, if you have a specific university in mind that you’d like to attend, ask them for help.

You can apply for a short-term student visa for studies lasting fewer than six months. But if you are planning to study for more than six months, you’ll need a Tier 4 student visa.

Stay safe

It’s essential to keep yourself safe, especially when you’re somewhere new, like at university. Student houses are often brimming with the latest tech and gadgets, making them an easy target for criminals. Stay one step ahead and protect yourself and your staff at all times! Here are ten top tips from the police for staying safe at university:

  • Make sure your doors and windows are always locked securely. Don’t let opportunist burglars in!
  • Leaving keys, phones, laptops, or other gadgets out on display can be an invitation to burglars, so keep them hidden.
  • Are you not expecting visitors? Don’t answer your door to anyone you don’t know or aren’t expecting!
  • Keep a list and photos of your personal property, including serial numbers and descriptions. In most cases, insurance companies won’t pay out unless you can prove your claim, so sending them photos/precise descriptions of your stolen items will help. You can use an ultraviolet pen to mark your property – this is invisible to the naked eye but can be detected with a special light.
  • Always back up your data and university work to a separate source if your laptop gets stolen, lost, or broken.
  • Are you heading on a night out? Make sure everyone gets home safely, and no one is left by themselves.
  • Each area of the UK has its safety initiatives, and the police often visit campuses for you to talk to them about any safety concerns you might have.
  • Think about your online presence and what other people can see about you. Set your privacy settings accordingly if you only want family and friends to see your posts. Visit for more guidance.
  • Worried your housemate is struggling with drinking or drugs? Take a look at for advice.
  • Spotted a crime in process? Call 999 straight away! Want to report a crime that has already happened? Call 101.

Share this post